How to Make a Boozy Ice Cream Sandwich
Everyone loves a good ice cream sandwich, and these have a little something extra for the adults. They’re easy to make and are perfect for a boozy dessert in the summertime. The chocolate shortbread softens to just the right texture in the freezer and you can make them totally your own with your favorite flavor of Arctic Buzz. This dessert is only for adults, the kids can have regular ice cream sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats.
SERVING: 12 Sandwiches
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
CHILL TIME: 1 hour- 12 hours
Ingredients for Ice Cream Sandwich
9.5 cartons of the Arctic Buzz flavor of your choice–we recommend the chocolate or vanilla–but birthday cake, cookies and cream, or raspberry would go great with this; slightly softened
2 2/3 cups (about 13 1/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup (3 1/2 ounces) cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
20 tablespoons (10 ounces) unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
If this feels too boozy for you, feel free to substitute half of the Arctic Buzz for regular ice cream. We won’t tell anyone.
While they can be served right away, the texture of the assembled sandwiches is best if they’re allowed to rest in the freezer overnight. This will allow the cookie to soften slightly.
How to Make the Ice Cream Sandwich
- Line 9- by 13-inch pan with parchment paper, allowing paper to overhang the sides. Press your chosen flavor of Arctic Buzz into pan and smooth top. Freeze until solid, at least one hour.
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift flour, cocoa, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream sugar with butter on medium speed until combined and slightly lightened, about 1 minute. Mix in yolks and then vanilla. Mix in dry mixture until just combined. Divide dough into 2 pieces and pat each piece into a 5-inch square, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, working with one piece of dough at a time, roll dough into an 8-inch by 12-inch rectangle. Along the long side, use ruler to cut into 2-inch lengths (you should have 6 pieces). Cut each length in half, creating 12 4×2-inch cookies. Use a flat spatula to place cookies onto prepared pans. Using the pointy tip of a thermometer, poke about 15 holes into cookies. Bake until cookies are firm, about 10-12 minutes, rotating pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking. Cool completely.
- Remove ice cream from pan and trim the edges to make a neat rectangle. Using the same technique as with the dough, cut the ice cream into 12 4 by 2-inch rectangles. Sandwich the Arctic Buzz layer between the cookies. Wrap the assembled sandwiches separately in parchment paper or foil, and store overnight or serve immediately.